Monday 14 March 2011

The Large Glass

Marcel Duchamp "Duchamp worked on his complex Futurism inspired piece The Bride Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Even (The Large Glass)from 1915 to 1923. He executed the work on two panes of glass with materials such as lead foil, fuse wire, and dust."  Wikipedia
 

I am taking inspiration from this piece and applying to my own work. The idea of applying different materials to glass gives a very interesting effect and depth to the work.

 As I have been looking into pollution and the effects it has on the reef, I plan to add parts of what is polluting the ocean to my work.

For example, I have started experimenting with plastics and the idea of oil paint representing the oil spills which are causing so much damage to the reefs. I am also going to experiment with different ways of introducing wire and metals into my work tastefully, to represent the effects of these items. I feel the idea of combining glass which is so fragile, with these harsh materials people carelessly throw into our oceans will grab peoples attention as it is not something we normally expect to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment